Thursday, February 24, 2011

Nigella's Churros with Chocolate Dipping Sauce


The most recent addition to my cookbook collection is Nigella Lawson's "Kitchen". As I skimmed through it I knew I would be trying out her Churros with chocolate dipping sauce recipe as soon as possible. I liked her recipe because it eggless. Most of the recipes I have seen for churros are basically a choux pastry rich in eggs and somehow it just didn't sit well with me. I have never like that gooey uncooked centre in a cream puff hence mine are always well baked! 

In the aftermath of the cyclone with no electricity for more than a week and heaps of outdoor work to do, baking took step to the side. But I was having bad "baking withdrawal" symptoms! So, left to my own devices when the family made yet another trip to the dump, I set to work eager to surprise them with a sweet treat! And churros, it was! We really enjoyed these churros. I piped them thinner than the ones I have eaten so they were deliciously crunchy. The chocolate dipping sauce is a must!



Churros with chocolate dipping sauce (adapted from Kitchen by Nigella Lawson)
which Nigella claims should be enough for 4-6 but...

I doubled this recipe - I think Nigella must have be on a very strict diet that day!

50g caster sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon or to taste

125g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
15ml olive oil
250ml freshly boiled water
oil for deep frying

Chocolate Sauce

50g dark chocolate
75g milk chocolate
150ml cream

Mix the sugar and the cinnamon together. Set aside for coating the churros in later.

Melt all the chocolate ingredients really gently in a saucepan until it all melts and combines. Set aside.

To make the churros: put the flour into a bowl and stir in the baking powder then beat in the olive oil and freshly boiled water from the kettle. Keep mixing until you have warm sticky dough. Leave it rest for 10 minutes while you heat up the oil to about 170C.
When you are ready fit a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle (I used about 8mm one) and  fill with the dough. Squeeze out lengths of dough. I just used my finger to break each one off the nozzle.
Cook only a few at a time until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper then toss in cinnamon sugar.
Reheat the sauce if needed.
Serve churros with Chocolate dipping sauce in individual pots ( to avoid the double dipping dilemma) and dip away!



10 comments:

Claudia said...

What a wonderful appreciative sweet to come home to after a long day of cleaning up. I feel for all of you and the parts of the world that are dealing with nature's fury. I like that they are without eggs also. Cheers to you and what you've done!

Renata said...

mmmmm.. I love churros!! I always thought we had to have a special equipment to make them, thought the dough was too stiff for a piping bag, but now I want to try it! They look so yummy!
I hope your days return to normal very soon. It's great to know that you've already had a chance to make some goodies for the family!

Marcella said...

I have nevere eaten the churros, but from as you speak of it must be delicious.
After the cyclon and after the uneasiness it's a good way to return to normality.
Ti abbraccio forte forte!!!
Buona giornata
Marcella

EliFla said...

OMG...I ate churros in MAdrid and I liked them very much...but yours look excellent!! Bravissima...hugs, Flavia

la vita è bella (Alessandra) said...

Ciao! So sorry about the cyclone. Prayers to your family & friends. This recipe looks delicious!

Eleonora said...

Marcellina, first of all, thank you for swinging by my blog and leaving your kind comments, I truly appreciate them. Second I LOVE CHURROS Y CHOCOLATE!! I discovered them in Madrid a million years ago when I was a young girl, and have always wanted to find a proper recipe to replicate them without having to go to Spain or Mexico (no churros in Roma). Gracias!
Third, all my support and positive thoughts go to you and the Austral populations affected by the recent climate events. Is there a relief fund we could donate to?

Ciao,
Eleonora

Catalina said...

I've always wanted to try out churros and yours look super-yummy! The sauce sounds amazing, I wish I could have a batch of these now :)

la vita è bella (Alessandra) said...

Ciao! I agree with you & I actually live in the USA. I have Italian heritage from Naples, Calabria, & Sicily. In America that's how us Italians are portrayed especially in mafia movies. I hope one day we are seen in a positive light for once. Hope you have a great day mia amica!

Hilda said...

Ohhhh... "churros con chocolate".
If you come to Spain you must eat them here (Nigella´s are not as good as ours jejeje)
Kisses

happee25 said...

DELICIOUS! tried these soooo good!! :A